We don’t know about you, but we cannot get enough of Throwback Thursdays! Those embarrassing childhood photos just beg to be posted on Instagram (and Facebook, and Twitter…), but we also greatly appreciate this social phenomenon of Throwback Thursday to pay homage to brands that have shaped the way we view fashion today. Lacoste, known for its high-end polos and famous Crocodile logo, has been our go-to for achieving ultimate prepster style. The French company, founded in 1933 by Rene Lacoste, is most well-known for its pastel-colored tennis shirts, but has expanded to produce footwear, perfume, and leather goods, which all serve to remind us of this iconic brand. Celebrating its 80th anniversary this year, we look back upon Lacoste’s most memorable moments, and look to see what the brand has in store for us in the future.
1. The innovator himself, Rene Lacoste. As a tennis player extraordinnaire, his fans nicknamed him the “Crocodile” for his tenacity on the court (hence, that famous logo).
2. Lacoste featured in one of the company’s first advertisements.
3. It’s true: those crocodiles are beautiful.
4. A 1982 Advertisement.
5. The company’s creative Spring/Summer 2008 campaign.
6. Models continue to catch some air in the Spring/Summer 2009 campaign.
7. Lacoste gets glam in it’s 2011 campaign, redefining the classic “unconventional chic” vibe.
7. Top model of the moment Karlie Kloss showcases Lacoste’s modern style.
8. The future of Lacoste: new technology which allows you to change the color of your shirt with a swipe of your hand across your chest (so cool, right?!). You know what that means- more time to get that early morning workout in (or get a few extra minutes of sleep).
Lacoste, you have been innovating since the early 1900′s. The polo wouldn’t be the same today without you (and neither would our wardrobes). With your promise of the future, we are at this very second sitting on the edge of our seats- please don’t keep us waiting too long!
What are some of your favorite Lacoste advertising campaigns and fashion moments of the past? We would love to hear what you have to say in the comments section below!