Summer is here and your winter coats won’t be the only thing you are shedding as the weather heats up. Transitioning your make up routine from fall to summer is something we all have to do, as you want to lighten up your look and focus on protecting your skin from the summer rays. Here are some tips and tricks on how to alter your makeup routine to better accommodate the up & coming summer months.
- Swap out your heavy foundation for a lightweight tinted moisturizer with SPF. Not only do you want to protect your skin from the sun, but caked on make up will only weigh you down during a hot summer day. Neutrogena’s Healthy Skin Enhancer tinted moisturizer is one of my favorites as it hydrates your skin without making it look too greasy or heavy.
- Primer is a must for your summer makeup routine. It will provide a smooth base for your makeup and is extremely lightweight. With the rise in temperature, it is not uncommon for your makeup to “melt” off, and primer helps keep your makeup in place throughout the warm day. Revlon’s Beyond Natural smoothing primer is my personal favorite pick.
- Bronzed skin is a signature summer look that most women strive to achieve. Sitting in the direct sunlight sans sunscreen to get your summer glow is never a good idea as it will give you sun damaged and wrinkled skin (no thank you)! Instead try a quality bronzer, such as the Physician’s Formula mood booster bronzer.
- Powder is great during the winter, but when summer hits you don’t want to hide your beautiful dewy summer skin with a heavy matte powder. Instead opt for a light powder with a bit of shimmer added to it. Use Nars Sparkling pressed powder as a highlighter, applying it to all the places on your face the sun hits (cheekbones, bridge of the nose, forehead, & chin). Not only will it enhance your summer glow, but it also will absorb oil.
- Dark eye shadows and heavy eyeliner are a bit over the top for a day at the beach, and will often make you look out of place. Instead throw on a couple coats of quality waterproof mascara to your top and bottom lashes. My personal favorite mascara for summer is the Revlon Grow Luscious waterproof plumping mascara as it doesn’t run and keeps my eyes looking bright and beautiful.
- During the summer time, I like to swap out my powdery blush for a cream one, as it adds to my summer glow and blends easier. Topshop’s Cheeks in Luminescence stick is my new favorite item in my summer beauty arsenal.
- Instead of using a heavy lipstick or an over the top shiny gloss this summer, opt for a tinted lip balm instead. CoverGirl has a fabulous tinted lip balm in coral that will not only hydrate your lips, but also keeps them looking bright and beautiful all summer long.
- Dead skin on your lips is a common occurrence during the warm & drying summer months, and it is never one that is found to be attractive. Keep your lips healthy and smooth with a quality lip scrub, such as the Softlips coconut and sugar polish (my number one favorite)!