Once upon a time, I tried to do a water marble technique on my nails… and it was a complete disaster. Nail polish was all over my fingers, and bubbles caused the actual design to look pretty awful. This was really disappointing to me, because I was quite fond of the look that came with water marbled nails. Using the same technique I did to create my DIY nail decals, I found a simple way to create the water marble nail look without the mess.
- + Supplies: pen or toothpick, small cup filled with water, Ziploc baggies cut into small pieces, and polish. I chose three colors for my marbled look, but you can use as many or as little as you like.
- + Colors Used: Annette Classic with a Twist, Anne It Girl, Sasha It Girl
- + Step 1: Start by adding a drop of your first nail polish color and watch it spread in the water.
- + Step 2 & 3: Next, add a drop of your second and third colors, all in the center of the first drop of color.
- + Step 4: Using either the tip of a pen or a toothpick, begin to draw your marble. I usually start in the center and pull outward. Get creative with your design and have fun with it, there is no “right” way to do this and all nails will look different.
- + Step 5 & 6: Grab one of your cut up pieces of Ziploc bag and place it on top of your design in the water, make sure all of it sticks to the plastic. Pull the plastic out of the water, you will now clearly see the design you created.
- + Step 7 & 8: Place your piece of plastic (design side up) onto a towel and let dry fully. When dried, you should be able to pull your design off of the plastic.
- + Once you have all your pieces ready (I made 1 piece for each nail), it is time to prep your nails for application. Paint your nails with either a base coat or a color (completely up to you), and when slightly tacky- press your marble sheet onto your nail. To clean up the edges you can cut them off with a small scissors, or use a little nail polish remover! Seal with top coat, let dry, and you’re good to go!
+ What do you guys think of my marbled accent nail? I think it turned out pretty cute. Plus, I had leftover marble sheets, which I saved in a plastic baggie for future manicures!