I love nail art that doesn’t require any special tools. No tape, no dotting tools, no stamps. This popular fishtail braid design is one of those manicures.
I took step by step pictures to illustrate the process for you. You’ll get a tiny bit messy and will have to do a little clean up, but nothing too bad. Choose three different colors for your braid, preferably nothing sheer. For mine, I chose Julep Selena as my base color, then added Alicia and Annie in to the braid.
- + Step 1: Apply your base coat and paint your nails as usual with your first color (mine being Selena), let dry fully before proceeding.
- + Step 2: The next step would be to simply paint a diagonal strip with your second color (I chose Alicia), and let dry.
- + Step 3: Paint a diagonal stripe with your second color (i.e. Annie) across your first stripe, creating an x shape. Let dry.
- + Step 4: As seen above, in this step you will want to use your first/base color again to repaint over the top left of your x. In my case I painted over the top half of my Annie stripe. Let dry.
- + Step 5: Repeat what you did in step 2, with your stripe going in the opposite direction. Let dry.
- + Step 6: Repeat what you did in step 3, again with your stripe going in the other direction. Let dry.
- + Step 7: Paint a stripe over the one you did in step 6 and let dry.
- + Step 8 & 9: Repeat steps 2 & 3 one more time, although it will be on a much smaller scale, and finish off with your top coat.
- It may seem a bit confusing, but once you get started it will all make sense. Trust me!