At one point or another in your life, I am sure you have been advised against wearing horizontal stripes. I have been told many times by my fashion elders that if you want to look long and lean, dodge these types of stripes at all costs. Well, I am here to tell you this is absolutely not true, and the timing couldn’t be better because stripes are so in for summer! Fashion is all about breaking the rules and having fun, so if you want to wear stripes—than wear stripes! And wear them proudly!
Here are 5 helpful tips to assist you in breaking this particular “no stripes” rule, while still looking trés chic!
- + Color up. Don’t stick to single color stripes all the time (i.e. black and white), instead try playing with monochromatic shades and mix matched bright colors.
- + Match your size. This is by far the most important tip when it comes to wearing stripes. If you are a plus-size lady, simply wear a larger stripe. If you are a petite woman then wear a petite stripe. It’s all about balance, so just keep your shape in mind when picking your stripes. If you are full figured and still not comfortable with a straight stripe, try a chevron stripe instead, this will draw the eye to the center line of your body (making you appear leaner).
- + Layer away. The stripes don’t necessarily need to steal the whole show. Wear a striped top with a denim jacket or a fun blazer to break the look up a bit. This will play the look down, while still looking adorbs.
- + Focus on accessories. If you are still feeling weary of this trend, start small with some fun accessories. Striped shoes and/or purses can be the perfect way to rock a stripe for beginners.
- + Height matters. If you are on the shorter side, keep it limited to small stripes on the top half. On the other hand, if you are tall, you can very much wear stripes head to toe—if you please (which I hope you don’t).
- Chevron striped dress- great for fuller figures so the eye is drawn to center part of the body.
- Wide striped sweater with a slouchy pocket—balance your body type with the size of your stripes. Wide stripes are great for plus-size women as it provides balance.
- Striped heels are a great way to ease into this look—take baby steps.
- Throw on a striped bangle for an easy to wear striped look, or pair it with more stripes for some extra flair!
- Bright colored stripes are a great look for summer, especially when on an adorable beach bag!
- For the lady who can wear stripes from head to toe (lucky), try a fun maxi dress with thin stripes. You will look lean and fashionable.