Okay so this is one topic I am pretty serious about- YOU MUST CLEAN YOUR BRUSHES OFTEN! Dirty brushes aren’t only icky to have touching your face on the regular, but they are also the number one cause of blemishes!! Cleaning them takes a mere five minutes and afterward your brush won’t only physically feel better on your skin (it’s much softer), but you will also have no worries about spreading germs onto your precious skin. Brushes in good condition will result in better makeup application and will last a lot longer! Ideally you want to wash them about every 2-4 weeks!
Don’t know how to go about cleaning your brushes? Well here are some step-by-step instructions…
- + Supplies needed: All of your brushes (might as well get it all done at once), a rag/old towel, baby shampoo or a brush cleaner (this one is my fave- it works wonders)!!! If you don’t have a brush cleaner, a gentle face cleanser that is safe for your eyes should work fine.
- + Step 1: Run all of your brushes under the faucet of the sink using warm water and get them nice and wet. Be sure to point the hairs downward to avoid getting water in the metal part.
- + Step 2: Put a dollop of your brush wash/ baby shampoo on the palm of your hand and lather up your brush- repeat this process on each brush. You will know your brushes are clean when the water becomes clear when you rinse (it may take 2-3 lathers, depending on how dirty the brush is).
- + Step 3: Dry your brushes gently with your towel and leave them to dry overnight. You may want to reshape your brushes at this point. Be sure to lay your brushes flat to dry because the brush will eventually separate from the handle if too much water gets to the glue in the metal part holding it together.
- + Step 4: Repeat Steps 1-3 as often as possible, but no less than once a month.