Nail biting is a dirty little habit that many people are held victim to… I myself even had a bout with nail biting when I was in my teens. Whether you are anxious or just plain bored, you have got to keep those hands out of your mouth at all costs! Not only is it an awful thing to watch other people do (eww), but it will cause you pain from exposing the nail bed & it will leave your nails very damaged. All things that absolutely do NOT contribute to the perfect mani. I know that, like all habits, it’s a hard one to break… but nothing is impossible!
Read below for some tips to help you from chewing away at your nails.
- + Dip your nails in nail polish remover every morning, the taste alone will keep those fingers away from your mouth. If that isn’t strong enough to get you to stop, you could always rub some jalapeno juice on your nails- that pain will 100% keep you from biting (ouch!).
- + Get gel nails for a while. Gels are too strong for you to chew at, which will help you break the habit while your nails get a break to recover. When taking the gels off be sure to have it done at a salon and get yourself a manicure immediately after. This may be a bit pricey, but it will break the habit for sure.
- + Not down for gels? Be sure to always keep your nails polished and manicured, chances are that if you made the time to paint them/get them done- you will be less inclined to mess them up.
- + Think about where your hands have been throughout the day. The germs should be enough to make you want to stop biting.
- + If your nail biting issue is completely habit based, find a new hobby (i.e. jewelry making) for a while. Keep your hands busy so that they have no time to make it to your mouth.
- + Keep your cuticles moisturized with a quality cuticle oil (I keep mine next to my bed). Many nail biters may actually be perfectionists in disguise, so always make sure your nails and cuticles are in their tip top shape and you will have nothing you need to bite at or fix (like a hangnail).
- + If your nails are jagged, there is a better chance you will want to try to bite them straight (which we all know doesn’t happen anyways). Instead keep a nail file with you at all times when you feel your rough edged nails are getting to you.
- + Chewing gum will keep your mouth busy, not to mention the fact you probably don’t won’t want any stray nails getting stuck in your gum…. disgusting!!
- (source, source)